PLEASE VOTE FOR ME! GENERAL SYNOD ELECTION 2026

Please give me your FIRST preference vote!

Archdeacon of London and Recor of S Andrew by the Wardrobe with S Martin Ludgate. The perspectives of a parish priest and a senior staff member. Experienced and effective in General Synod. A track record of making a difference. A traditional catholic known for working with people of other opinions. Committed to the Mission of Christ’s church.

Nominated by The Venerable Catherine Pickford & The Rev'd Graham Hunter

Effective on the issues that matter
Engaged across Synod and the National Church
Experienced to get things done



Why Synod? In Synod we walk together in response to Christ’s call to serve the Kingdom of God. On the surface Synod is all “issues” and laws and Measures and debates. At its best however, Synod is Christ’s people engaging in a common task of seeking grace to configure our common life to Christ as His Members in the World.

Why me? We have big issues to address. I can be effective on the matters that need to be addressed because I engage with people of varying views and have the experience to have an impact. I bring to Synod the perspectives of a parish priest and of an archdeacon working with churches and chaplaincies in London. I bring back from Synod insights and understanding which can help us here.

Effective in the Synodical Processes
I have the relationships and knowledge to be effective. This has been seen for instance in my leadership of the revision of the Guidelines for the Professional Conduct of the Clergy, essential to make Clergy Conduct fair and clear. This will affect every cleric and every church. An example of how I give attention to, and have an effect o, what is important, not just to what is in the headlines.

Engaged with clear convictions in constructive relationships
I have been Prolocutor and worked across the whole Synod as rotating Chair of the House of Clergy. I do so as a Traditional Catholic and a member of the Catholic Group. I believe strongly in upholding the Seal of the Confessional. As one who holds the traditional teaching about indissoluble marriage for life between a man and a woman and human sexuality, I served with those of all views as a member of the LLF Programme Board. After much debate we now have clarity on the legal and synodical process that would be needed for any change. Synod will need those like me who have a track record of “disagreeing well”.

Experienced in Legislation that serves local churches
General Synod is a legislature with devolved powers from Parliament. Debates on public issues grab headlines, but Members must grapple with the details of law and legislation. Getting it wrong can affect local churches significantly. As Chair of the Legislative Reform Committee I have gained considerable knowledge of how to get things done and how to frame legislation. Having current parochial and archidiaconal experience will be especially helpful as Synod revises the Mission and Pastoral Measure: new law about parish structures, church planting and property.

Making a difference on the big issues

Safeguarding structures need to work to make everyone safer without losing the essential relationships of trust, nor overwhelming parish safeguarding officers. We need to continue to develop safeguarding which is strongly embedded, effective, and proportionate.

Governance: I helped to present the Governance Measure in Parliament and I brought Parliament's response to Synod. In the next steps I am well placed to help to get things right to simplify our over complex and costly structures.

Church funding: reform is needed towards better funding for local churches and parishes. Less in grants and more core funding. My time on the Archbishops’ Council Audit and Risk Committee taught me that simplistic responses will not do. The last Synod was beginning to wrestle with the complexities. I bring understanding of parish and diocesan finance to the Synod to get this right.

“Clergy Accountability” is coming down the tracks. Wellbeing, safeguarding, CMD, finance, retirements outstripping ordinations, changes to clergy discipline, all impinge on clergy terms of service. Clergy Accountability will touch on our ecclesiology, and most aspects of our common life. I do not believe clergy should be employees and would like us to explore a structure like a professional association. I can bring my experience as Prolocutor and knowledge of legal and synodical process, my understanding of finance and my established working relationships to what may be the defining matter of this quinquennium.

I hope to return to Synod to work for the whole church so that we can better advance and serve the Kingdom of God.


Please give me your FIRST PREFERENCE vote





Effective on the issues that matter
Engaged across Synod and the National Church
Experiecned to get things done



Popular posts from this blog

Unintended Consequences of the Protect Duty

A Long Good Friday or a Long Holy Saturday?

Happy Anniversary